Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Seven-Year Ache



Seems strange that this pandemic quarantine business feels like 612 days long already. But 7 years can fly by in a blink of an eye. I miss my dad!

Especially when I see pictures of him from a million years ago (aka when I was a baby). In the photo above, he's having fun with my twin sister while I'm laid across Mom's lap like she needs to spank me. Or, on closer inspection, she might be fixing something for the back of my outfit that she sewed for our baptism. 

Pretty typical Dad is trying to bring levity to the situation! While I thought I inherited that trait solely from him, I also recognize that the quieter, clever humor comes from Mom. It's no wonder we talked for our usual hour on the phone when I called her tonight. We're both so funny we just keep cracking each other up! (Hey, find an audience and capitalize on it!)

OK. Part of that was true. Long conversation, a few laughs, and just a lot of chitchat. She's a sharp cookie for 88! But this quarantine is making her lonely, too. Glad much of my family nearby has been able to pop in for visits – even through masks or window screens or parking lot chats. Thank you!

One thing I learned quickly after losing Dad was appreciating that Mom is still here. I haven't seen her since before Christmas and I miss her. Told her I would hopefully get up there in early June. We both want to see if all the Memorial Day Weekend activities cause a virus spike north of Highway 8. So we'll play it by ear. Hopefully I can just park a lawn chair outside her window and talk.

In the meantime, she's just a phone call away (call your mother, kids!) and Dad, well, he's around everywhere. He wasn't much of a conversationist on the phone when he was alive. But now we have great talks. Maybe it's because I get the last word in now. Who knows? 

Don't know where I get that from, do you, Dad? 

Keep those angels on their toes! Enjoy some heavenly birthday cake and ice cream for me!

No comments: