Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Castles in the Clouds

One thing I like about Facebook is that every day you have an opportunity to view your "memories" of posts you made on this day in previous years. I don't even look at them every day but today popped up and I wondered why I had a memory with Carter. Well, 3 years ago I was visiting him for a long weekend in Germany!

What an adventure. Seeing him and the Heidelberg Castle up on the hill. And exactly 3 years ago today...

We hopped a train with croissants in hand and headed to France for the day. Because we could.

We both said that it seems way longer than 3 years ago. I think this pandemic has warped our sense of time. It's been 2 very long years. And we are super grateful that it was 3 years ago – not 2 – that he was studying abroad for a semester. There's no way that would have worked out for him in 2020 or 2021. 

And we both would have missed out on those amazing French pastries!

Of course, not all memories that popped up today were so sweet. Some were bittersweet.


This was my dad and me 9 years ago today. Knowing he was declining, I decided that as a gift to him, I'd cheer for the Packers for one day. Or the 4 hours we were with him anyway. I guess we knew then that either Hell was freezing over or he was on his last days.

He did last another 6 weeks after that but I never donned the green and gold again. Nor will I. Now that the king of our castle is up in the clouds.

Again, with that pandemic time warp, I've had no sense of how long Dad's been gone. Nine years seems like a lifetime ago. Or yesterday. Depending on the day. And when I see this picture of us together, the clouds are breaking up and raindrops are falling on my cheeks.

I'm reminded how short life can be. Do those things you want to do in case you can't later. Hop on that train or plane. Climb the castle. Go see that friend or loved one. 

You'll be grateful when it pops up in a future "memory."


No comments: