Thursday, May 19, 2022

Blue Jay Drive

We've lived on Blue Jay Drive for 20 years and, naturally, we've seen our share of blue jays. We hear them with their loud, harsh "jay" calls more than we see them. Because they don't sit still. Trust me, this photographer hasn't had any luck capturing them. Until today.


After last night's rain storm, this morning I noticed two hopping around the lovely Out Back area I just cleared (somewhat). I thought Mr. Blue Jay was looking for worms. But do they even eat worms? Or just stick with the high-protein acorn diet? I am not sure.


I was just excited that he (or she) was turning around for me so I could see his tail. They are such pretty birds!


And they're apparently good omens, too. Native American lore says that seeing a blue jay nearby ensures good luck for whoever crosses its path. Their symbolism can vary somewhat. To some, they are thought to represent a symbol of fortune and luck – which I needed BEFORE I saw the snake back there. They are also thought to be good omens that symbolize happiness and peace.


I was snapping away through the picture window, just hoping I'd have that luck and one picture would turn out. I was thrilled a few did.  Then Jay turns his head and I can see what he was hunting for. Not food but building supplies for his nest. Oh Jay, that is going to take a long time to build if that's the size of the "lumber" you can carry!


He showed it to his buddy Jay-Jay and he wasn't impressed either.

So he flew off with it into some hiding place I'm sure I'll never find with my lens!

It's storming again tonight. Maybe tomorrow the equally elusive Mr. Cardinal will pay a visit. 


No comments: