Sunday, May 15, 2022

Oh S-s-s-snap!

Warning: The following blog may contain graphic images that will either make your heart beat faster or possibly make you scream a little.

So after a lovely morning of church and editing racing photos, I headed to the Out Back again to tackle the remaining stumps and shrub root crap. If you recall, I was hoping to get this all done before bee and snake season started. Guess I missed that deadline.

Wasn't too far into my work today and was throwing a branch on my little pile when I came very close to this slithering friend in the grass. I screamed. Did an about face and ran up the little hill in the yard with a string of expletives behind me!

Since no one was around to rescue me, I tried talking myself believing he is harmless. Then grabbed my phone and snapped a few photos. Because he absolutely was not moving. Final warning!


Large and in charge and totally scream-worthy, right? I decided to call him Freddy – along with other F words – and figured I'd get right back to work. When I saw him slide inside one of the railroad tie steps, you can bet your ass I was on the lookout for a "S-s-surprise!" at some point in the next 4 hours. But nope, he let me get my digging done. Several roots looked like snakes, so they yielded little squeaky screams, but not too bad.

I had sent the picture to Carter and you would not believe what he sent back to me with the text caption: Like mother, like son – almost stepped on this rattlesnake today! (Final warning again!)


If you want to zoom in – which I wouldn't recommend – you can see the rattle tail! OMG! 

Another reason we never quit worrying about our kids. And here I thought he's only have to worry about elk out in Colorado. Carter just called, gave us a video tour of their duplex, and said they live in a very safe neighborhood. That just doesn't apply when they leave it and go hike in a canyon somewhere! (Note to self: This was in Eldorado Canyon State Park so don't let him suggest going there if we ever get out to visit.)

Oh and I wouldn't blame you for turning down invites to our backyard either. Ha.

But I'll leave you with two pretty images from the park so you won't think it was all rattle and ho-hum...



Be careful out there!

No comments: