Saturday, October 29, 2022

Road Worthy 2.0

On June 18th,  my "Road Worthy" blog was about a trip to Marinette that almost didn't happen because I had to do the hundreds of miles of driving by myself. I wondered if a graduation party for a friend's grandson was worth the solo road trip plus extreme price of gas. In the end, I decided to go so I could see my girlfriends of three decades: Cindy (left in photo) and Sally.

I wrote: "These friends are worth more than the price of gas! If I didn't go and something happened to one of them, I'd regret it forever."

I did not realize that day would arrive so soon. 

After taking pictures at the state cross country meet today I was heading for the shuttle bus and my phone was buzzing with a call from Sally. We don't usually call each other. We text. I knew right away something must be wrong. But never was I more shocked to hear the words "Cindy died last night." Totally unexpected. Likely a heart attack, but I don't for sure. 

I got down on one knee amidst cross country spectator traffic and just tried to process the news. I was devastated. Still am. As I've written before, she was my family up there. And I watched her beautiful children grow up like they were my family, too. Those poor broken-hearted kids! 

If you go back and read that blog you'll understand why my heart is shattered, too. And my closing statement that day still rings true. More so today than ever:

"My advice: Always take the trip. Make the time. See that person. Get that hug. Always!"

Do it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very sad. You are so very right. Take the trip.

Anonymous said...

Yes, take the trip always. You just never know what's in your future. Hugs to you Robyn.