Thursday, November 22, 2007

Attitude of gratitude

I was awakened to the sound of a distance gunshot this morning -- not unusual in Wisconsin in the middle of gun-deer season. Today especially, those hunters want to get done early so they can be inside to watch the Packers game and eat enough food to feed a homeless family for a week.

Sometime today most people will pause over their cranberries, stuffing and small mountain of mashed potatoes to give thanks, too. And that's what I love about this holiday. Just about everyone practices this attitude of gratitude that many of us try to adopt in our everyday lives. Sure, we're grateful for the big things -- our families and our health -- but it's the little things that matter. The little gifts that add up.

I am grateful this morning, for example, that Carter said I was beautiful -- even though I had just showered, my hair was wet, I had no makeup on and I was wearing sweats and slippers. OK, sorry for that visual. What else am I thankful for?

I am thankful for my parents who cherish memories of my childhood -- even though it clutters up their house. Every time I visit, they show me some card I made or poem I wrote. Some little memento they've secured in a safe place for decades.

I am thankful for my sisters and their love, support and camaraderie. They say you can choose your friends, but not your family. I am grateful they are my friends, too.

I am grateful for my brother and his faith. Despite so much adversity, he does not doubt God's plans for him. I admire his strength and endurance.

I am thankful for my girlfriends at work. If I am having a stressful day, at a moment's notice, I can turn to any of them and say "I need a lap." We'll head outside, take a walk around the building and they'll let me vent. They'll let me cry. They'll say "I understand" or give me a hug if I need it.

I am so grateful for old friends and the "long lost" friends I have reconnected with this year. I feel so fortunate to have had such wonderful people walk with me through different parts of my life's journey.

I am thankful for my "teachers," my mentors, the old-timers (no offense) who have shown me the pathway to success in all areas of my life. Have picked me up when I've fallen. Have cheered me on with encouragement to keep going.

I am grateful for my step-sons and oh so thankful God is watching over them and keeping them safe. It's a scary world out there for young drivers and for teenagers in general. So many dangerous "opportunities" trying to lure them into having fun. I'm grateful for every time God gives them the nudge to make the right choices.

I am thankful for my son, who can make me smile or laugh or cry at the drop of a hat. I am grateful for his wisdom. It entertains me and impresses me and teaches me to keep it simple.

I am grateful beyond measure for my husband, who can also make me smile or laugh or cry at the drop of a hat. (No, just kidding). I am thankful for his love, support, generosity and his willingness to stick by me through both the charm and the dysfunction.

I am thankful to you for reading this blog today (and this year). Do me -- and yourself -- a favor and take time to think of all the little (and big) things you have to be thankful for. You'll be amazed at the long list! Try to do this every day and you'll find a contentment that lasts long after that piece of pumpkin pie.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN