Monday, November 12, 2007

The sick ward (or reward)

Carter bounced back from his 24-hour bug and was perfectly fine to go back to school today. His big concern was that the Wisconsin achievement testing for 4th-graders started today. His second biggest concern was that his book order was due.

I know when I was a kid, I was lucky to get something once a year from the infamous book order. In fact, I remember exactly what I got: a Road Runner book, the Guinness Book of World Records one year and a Benji poster. That's it for my whole school career. Somewhere along the line we did get all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books -- but I don't think that was through school book orders.

Now that Carter has really been into reading this year, I try to order a book each time. But there are no promises. Each time, though, he religiously goes through the brochure and circles everything he wants. I tell myself I am not spoiling him because I am buying one item instead of the 6 he wants. (That's what I tell myself.)

This morning he really wanted this Captain Underpants fun pack. I told him I wasn't planning to order anything. "I don't have to get something for you every time," I said. His response, "But Mom, I was sick."

Oh, total flashback to when I was his age. Apparently one year for our Mother's Day program, when we had to read a poem about our mothers, little Robyn said, "My mom loves me best when I'm sick." Mom was somehow horrified by that and has never let me forget that. I think my intention was to express how much I enjoyed the extra attention when I was sick. But I think Marlys was embarrassed I was telling the world that's the only time I got attention.

I don't want Carter thinking that about his mother, but I bought him the book anyway. I did tell him, though, that it was because he has been doing well with his reading (more than 1,000 minutes in October!) -- not because he was sick. I guess only time (or a Mother's Day program) will tell if he believes that.

1 comment:

Ron Hedberg said...

Carter's cousin David enjoyed the Captain Underpants series too. And sometimes the teachers even counted them as "real" books. I'm glad Carter is feeling better and enjoying reading.