Thursday, November 8, 2007

Gr(ey)ve concerns

Have you been paying attention to this Hollywood writers' strike? Since I'm not much of a television watcher, it didn't concern me ... at first.

I heard about late-night shows having to air reruns. I'm in bed before 10 so I don't care much about that. Then I heard about some sitcoms and dramas that were only shot a week or so in advance so their fresh material will soon run its course. I probably can live with that. But now I heard Grey's Anatomy only has limited episodes. Yes, I'm sitting up to take notice!

Never fear, Grey's fans. I have it on good authority there's no need for alarm just yet. According to McDreamy (oh yeah, he has a real name -- Patrick Dempsey), one of the celebs lending support to the Writers Guild of America and their cause, Grey's probably has enough episodes to get us to Christmas.

OK. So then what? If they run reruns for the New Year, does the season extend to summer? The last major writers' strike happened back in 1988 and lasted nearly 6 months. Do you really think this one will last that long? And how do I become one of these valued writers who actually gets paid?

I probably should treasure each Grey's episode like it's my last! Maybe this will give the show's writers some time to think up some good story lines. No offense, but there's been some lack of sizzle this season.

Perhaps they are looking for some writers to fill in. I know of someone who would write for cheap. And I'm sure she'd be very professional about meeting McDreamy, McSteamy, McAnybody she could ...

1 comment:

Ron Hedberg said...

It may be tough to get Grey's to take your script - although that might be a fun contest or collaborative web site.

But it may not be too late to write a play for Sunday School or a family Christmas event.