Friday, November 16, 2007

Lost in Translation :: Part 2

The Austin family is probably due for a tune-up -- or at least an ear cleaning.

Not too long ago, I mentioned a few examples of Carter's translations of Daddy and Mommy-speak (remember hilarious was heard as "how Larry is.") Well now I've had a doozy of my own.

This week was the achievement tests for the fourth-graders. It's not the kind of test the students can study for so the teacher just encouraged us parents to be sure our kids got to sleep early and ate a hearty breakfast.

Each night when we pick Carter up at the sitter's after school, we always ask how his day is and see what homework he has so we can plan our evening. So I asked, "What do you have to do tonight?" I thought his response was, "Nothing, just wrestling practice."

Well this is the first I've heard of that. I asked: "Wrestling practice? Why do you have that? For gym?"

I was quickly corrected. "Mom, I didn't say wrestling practice, I said rest and breakfast!"

Rest and breakfast. Wrestling practice. Rest and breakfast.

Either I'm losing my mind or my hearing. Don't say it. Probably a little bit of both. And that's not funny (or how Larry is).

1 comment:

Ron Hedberg said...

(Belated) Thanks Carter for the health tip! I felt better this morning after a little "wrestling practice".

Uncle Ron