Saturday, November 3, 2007

Bugging out

I'm not a fan of creepy-crawly things -- especially ones that fly, too. Lady bugs are incredible pests this time of year, but do you get those Box Elder bugs in your house? We call them "stink bugs" 'cause if you kill them, they let off a stench. Trust me, I rolled over one in bed the other night, and that wasn't pleasant!

I also hate spiders and no one in our house wants to be anywhere near a bee these days. But to humor my dear son, I saw movies with him today about both of those critters. I don't go to many movies so I'm not qualified to "judge" them, but I'll put on my movie-critic hat anyway (we can do what we want in blogs, you know).

There has been some hype -- on kids cable channels anyway -- about The Bee Movie. I realized as much as I like Seinfeld, 90 minutes of Jerry was too much. They just tried too hard with the puns in this movie. They also threw in a bunch of adult humor and references that kids wouldn't understand. Carter has never heard of Sting, Larry King or Ray Liotta, so that was lost on him -- and I'm sure a lot of young viewers.

Carter and I agreed it was OK, just wasn't the best kids movie we've seen. Believe me, though, I've sat through worse! (My worst endurance test was Son of the Mask and Jim's was Rugrats in Paris. Oh, the sacrifices we make for our children!)

I asked Carter if seeing the funny bees in the movie make him less scared of bees. He said no, but if bees could really think like humans then they'd probably feel bad, especially if they sting someone who's allergic. But since they don't have human brains, they'll keep stinging us, unfortunately! Good point.

The other movie we watched was Spider-Man 3 on DVD. Carter went to see this in May with a buddy for their birthdays. This was the first Jim and I got to watch it. There's some creepy, scary stuff, but I liked it. This one I'd recommend!

Lots of action I'll probably re-live in weird dreams tonight! Good thing we turn the clocks back. I'll have an extra hour to see if Seinfeld will take on the Sandman! Whoops. Different movies. This is what happens when I watch two movies in one day. Now I know why I stick to one TV show a week. And if McDreamy shows up to save Spider-Man, then we know I've got problems ... well, we sort of know that already.

Seen any good movies lately?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched a good documentary recently - I think it was called "Paper Clips". I am pretty sure you'd like it. It is about a classroom of children who decided to take on adversity by studying the holocaust. Very good! L5