Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday

Oh, it felt so good to sleep in this morning instead of risking life and limb for a darn discount! I am not one of those bargain-driven divas that had to get to Wal-Mart by 5 a.m. or, good grief, Kohl's by 4 a.m.!

Today is called Black Friday -- the day retailers must do really well to end the year in the black. Each year, they start their "door buster" bargains earlier and earlier. When I saw 4 a.m. on a commercial earlier this week, though, my jaw dropped. Who would get up that early -- and how would you function?!

My hubby said the only way to do it was go out Thursday night, close down the saloons, head to Perkins for a 2 a.m. breakfast, then go to Kohl's and wait in line. Thankfully, I saw nothing in their circular worth doing that (plus I saw on the Weather Channel that is was supposed to get down to 14 degrees. The savings is not worth it.)

The only reason we even think about going shopping the day after Thanksgiving is Jim's family. We draw names among us 6 adults and most of the time, the "lists" are comprised of clippings from Black Friday circulars. In order to get the particular item and stay within our price limit, we almost have to go -- unless we'd rather not set an alarm and just pay the difference (that's me!).

As it turned out, since we had the day off, we did go shopping. But we didn't leave the house until 10 a.m. That left enough time to get to Fleet Farm by 11 a.m. to get some on-sale winter boots for Carter. Got the last parking spot there. While we were in Stevens Point, we swung over to Dunham's Sports so Jim could get my present. Yes, he drew my name and no, he didn't keep it a secret. At least I know "it" fits and "it" is just what I wanted.

Later this afternoon, I had to run into Wal-Mart for a few groceries. A bit of a nuthouse there. Not the best day to pick up a few items! I saw one person I knew but mostly kept my head down and charged forward, hoping Carter was close behind. Not the day to be browsing or asking, "Mom, can I have this?"

I think I figured out the secret to a successful Black Friday. Stay focused and, if at all possible, just stay home. At least you'll keep your checkbook in the black.

No comments: