Sunday, November 11, 2007

Would you rather...

Have you ever played the game "would you rather"? Participants are asked to choose between two incredibly unattractive options -- like would you rather kiss a toad or be covered with ants? You get the picture -- the obvious choice is usually to quit the game!

Had I been playing it this weekend, though, my options would have been: Would you rather watch Carter puke all day Saturday or watch the Vikings "puke" all day Sunday? Lucky me, I go to "choose" both. And both made me sick on some level.

It was 6:30 Saturday morning when Carter was up and on the toilet. Then the rest of the day, he couldn't keep anything down. He was all worried about missing school. They have the big tests this week for fourth-graders -- 4 days' worth -- so it would pretty inconvenient to miss school.

I told him not to worry -- he probably just had the 24-hour flu. He certainly took that to heart. This morning, he sneaks in our room and I hear him tell Jim: "Dad, it's been exactly 24 hours now, so I'm OK." Luckily, that is the case. He's been taking it easy today and thankfully has been able to eat again.

As for the other option, in this game. Yes, I forced myself to watch that, too, and it was just as nauseating. I didn't expect the Vikings to win. I just wanted it to be a close game. If not that, I at least wanted them to score! Yikes.

Apparently, it just wasn't meant to be a good weekend in the Austin house. Luckily, Carter and I have found the cure to what ails us -- a shot of eggnog! (Yes, it's in the stores and of course, I bought some!)

It doesn't do anything to sooth my bruised purple pride. But it helps get me through the grueling phone calls from those loving family members who have the sudden urge to reach out and touch someone (guess who?!) when the Packers beat the Vikings.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric said after the big game, "Who u gonna call Mom?" I said, "no one, I know they are feeling bad already!!" We were just rootin' for the shutout at the end!! I did say, "I'm sure Renell is jumping up & down!" Little did I know that u all really weren't feeling too well over there. Get well and tell Carter I know he will do great on his testing.

Rayna Delaney said...

After the game, your "loving" brother-in-law, Paul said, "Let's call Robyn." I said, "NO! Poor girl, she always gets the grief with all this family calling." I suppose Dad had to call you! I guess you can take heart that your dad will actually pick up the phone and call you atleast twice each year! :) Rayna

Ron Hedberg said...

Even as a Packer fan, it was difficult to watch. At least the Vikings did have some good plays in the fourth quarter to restore a little bit of dignity.

But next week they all start with a 0-0 score once again. It isn't how many times you fall or fail. But the standard is how many times you get back up and try again. (hopefully one more time than you fall)

Sometimes it is difficult and stretching. But the Vikings, and us, can find some reasons for hope and confidence to get back up and take steps forward once again.

Anonymous said...

Hope Carter is feeling better. I agree with Romey, I'm sure he will do wonderful with the testing. It really stinks, no pun intended, to get sick with the flu. I extend my deepest sympathy for your loss. May God give you the strength and courage to continue on. God bless you. Raylene

Jules said...

GO Pack!! Sorry Robyn- gotta rub it in-- being from Green Bay is the best right now! There is always next year for those Vikes....