Tuesday, November 20, 2007

In a fog

The fog was thicker than pea soup -- though I prefer egg nog -- this morning on my commute to work. Hubby and I drove separately today so I could get in early and get crackin' on a special project that had to go out the door today. With the fog slowing me down, I didn't get in as early as I'd hoped anyway. But I got some thinking time in...

Sometimes our lives are in a bit of a fog, aren't they? Sure I can "drive" that daily commute in my head, but the actions -- getting behind the wheel -- are a little scarier.

Right now I am adjusting to a new job, mainly different responsibilities, with the same company. What I enjoyed with the old job is the comfort of my drive on a sunny, clear day. What I am not enjoying in the new one is the dense fog when I am rounding a curve and met with new procedures, new people and new challenges.

I couldn't drive very fast this morning. Once you get a slow-going vehicle in front of you, you have to slow down and it is unquestionably stupid and dangerous to attempt to pass.

I want to learn my new job quickly. Can't everyone help speed this process along? Hit the gas! It's the pedal on the right! I am convinced God often puts people and obstacles in our path to make us slow down and get our bearings. Where are we? Where are we headed? Is that where we want to go?

The fog clears momentarily as I travel over the crest of a hill. It's so nice to see where I'm going again!

As we learn, we experience several of these moments of clarity. Those "a-ha" moments. We gain some confidence. This feels good. I feel safe. I understand my job today more than yesterday.

As the morning progresses and the sun readies to present itself, the fog starts thinning. Just as I am about to reach my destination, the fog lifts and gives me a beautiful pink and golden sunrise.

Hey, I think I'm going to like this new career growth opportunity! Despite the limited visibility today, I know I can handle this commute. If God sends a new patch of fog in my pathway, I'll just use my "fog lights" to get me through -- my co-workers, friends and family.

A prayer for a safe journey wouldn't hurt either.

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

What insight! I'm sure you WILL do WELL at your new job, or they would not have promoted you!