Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A.D.D. in the Dugout

Although we're not ready to lay a permanent label of "Bad News Bears" on Carter's baseball team after just three games, we're tempted.

If you can recall the bumbling baseball team from the 1970s movie, you can visualize why Coach Austin's patience is being tested to its limits. He's got a green team that doesn't have a firm grasp of the fundamentals. And I think I know why. They're not paying attention.

I got a unique perspective of what goes through the minds of 9- and 10-year-olds last night when I found myself sitting directly behind the bench. The dugouts are under construction so they didn't have their usual privacy. That didn't matter to them. They talked like there was no one behind them. They talked like there wasn't a baseball game in front of them, either. It was like Attention Deficit Disorder at its finest.

Here are a few snippets of conversation (I just numbered the kids in each conversation to protect their anonymity. Though I'm not sure they deserve it.):

Kid 1: Buddy, is that your real name?
Kid 2: No, it's Christopher.
Kid 1: Then why do they call you Buddy?
Kid 2: I don't know.
Kid 3 joins in: I never knew my name so I took my stepdad's last name.
Kid 2: You never knew your father?


----------------------

Kid 1: Does anyone want sunflower seeds?
Kid 2: I thought you didn't like sunflower seeds.
Kid 1: No, I just wasn't sure if I was allergic. If they were some sort of nut.
Kid 3: You're allergic to nuts?!


----------------------

Kid 1: Are you eating Skittles off the ground?!
Kid 2: No, I'm just checking to see if they're dirty.


----------------------

Kid 1: Wouldn't that be cool to get a grand slam?
Kid 2: I'm just gonna let the pitch hit me.



... Sigh... and there you have the first episode of the Bad News Bears....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the description ! Is Coach Austin going to emulate Coach Buttermaker - swilling a Budweiser in the dugout and telling the least talented player "just get your a.. out there & do the best you can". Maybe he can recruit someone like Tatum O'Neal to pull the "bears" together

Saint Paul

Anonymous said...

Well, your "Light side" was really great to read, I was actually laughing out loud and had tears in my eyes!! No, I wasn't crying becuz "the Bears" aren't doing so good, or cuz Mr. Austin Sr. has his hands (and mind) full, I just had to laugh at all the kids with a "number" and picture Robyn sitting behind them, listening, taking notes and wtching the game all at the same time!! Loveyou lots, sounds like the Austins are having fun anyway, all the kids ( and their parents, or one parent, or no parent) are winners just for showing up!! And for wanting to play ball! Good luck to Carter and Coach - love, Romey N