Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sunday Snippets

Indiana Jones: We saw previews for the new Indiana Jones movie when we went to see Iron Man. I explained to Carter there were 3 others before this one and, naturally, they came out in special DVD format this week. We picked them up today and we watched the first one, Raiders of the Lost Ark. I told Carter that it came out when I was in grade school or junior high. "Wow, they had color back then?" Nice. I didn't get much younger sounding when I explained there was going to be some swearing and violence because "PG-13" wasn't invented yet. I gave him some trivia, though. I said after the 2nd one, Temple of Doom, came out, that's when they decided they needed a PG-13. OK, let me change the subject because I can't get that theme song out of my head!

Coming out of the Closet: I got a notice awhile back that the Easter Seal folks will be cruising through my neighborhood this week, picking up donations of clothes and such. I decided this weekend was a good time to finally purge my closet. I am embarrassed to say I filled 4 large garbage bags from my closet alone, plus 2 more with just sweaters (from the last 2 decades, judging by the style -- or lack there of). You'd think my closet would be empty now, but no. I have plenty of clothes. Some I still need to work to fit into again, but most of the small ones had to go... along with those "young" numbers that should not be worn by a 40-year-old. OK, this is too depressing, I better change the subject again!

Tattle Tale: There is one more thing "certain" in life besides death and taxes -- and that's that life isn't fair. It has been an enlightening weekend as stepson #2 (our troubled tenant) is tattling about the alleged activities of stepson #1 "because it's not fair if he doesn't get in trouble and I do." Life with siblings does not always work out that way. I know that it usually didn't matter if my twin did something wrong or it was me. My mom did a blanket punishment (no TV, no phone, etc.) for both of us. Nope, it ain't fair. And it doesn't get any better in the "real" world either, whether it's our bodies (why do I have to still be dieting at this age) or work (why does that guy make more money than me or get all the praise). We somehow learn to accept unfairness or find a way to make it more fair on our side the next time.

Well I gotta go. I've the 10-year-old griping that's it's not fair he has to take a shower...

No comments: