Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tuesday Tidbits

Iron Man: Carter and I enjoyed the new Iron Man movie. I don't know if I was getting burned out on Spider-Man or what, but I found myself really liking this one. Of course, now that I work with some comics publications, there is a definite buzz around the office when there is a Marvel release. The movie was rated PG-13 but since Carter saw the Spidey flicks, I figured I'd cover his eyes as needed and he didn't object. The lady in front of us in line was taking her younger son to a movie, too. When the cashier asked how old her boy is, she said "7 today. It's his birthday." OK, says the cashier, "because our policy is that a child has to be 7 to get into an R-rated movie." Are you kidding me? It took every effort to bite my tongue, knowing it's not my place to give mothering advice. I can tell you after that, I didn't feel so bad taking my 10-year-old to a PG-13 movie (with my left hand as a built-in censor).

Fore! I helped Carter break in his new golf clubs at the driving range last night. I find I do better when I am demonstrating to him -- head down, eye on the ball, swing slowly. I also found out I managed to drive a heckuva lot farther with my 3 wood than my driver. That could be my secret ace-in-the-hole club this year! At one point I was having a devil of a time hitting my hybrid club (which worked well last time). So I am saying something to myself like "why isn't this working?" and Carter says, "Mom, people might not want to play with people who talk to their golf equipment." Next swing, and that ball sailed! Hey, use whatever motivates you -- even if it's to channel anger or prove a point. Fore!

Natural Disaster: The death toll in the devastating Myanmar cyclone has risen to more than 22,000 with 41,000 more missing, according to news reports. We hear these stories but don't give them much thought after the newscast. Until it gets personal. My friend Lucy's sister Lisa is a kindergarten teacher over there in Yangon. Since phone service is out, Lucy hasn't heard from her since this happened. Please pray for Lisa's safety.

Heritage Hill:
Today Carter is taking a field trip over to Heritage Hill State Historical Park outside of Green Bay. Of course the best part of any field trip is the bus ride, cold lunch (with soda!) and a snack. But I hope he learns something, too, even though he said last night, "Good, I get a day off from thinking." Oh it's tough being a fourth-grader. I sent one of those disposable cameras with him in case he saw something cool -- and advised him to not use all the pictures up on the bus ride. If there is one picture of scenery and 23 of girls, then we'll have a talk.

No comments: