Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Great Outdoors

Figures Mother Nature waits until the last day of May to give us a beautiful day. And we'll take it!

Although quite breezy, the sun was shining and the temps were in the mid-70s so we had to get out of the house. Carter had a friend stay over last night. I kept shooing them outdoors this morning. At least they went for a short bike ride and played catch awhile before coming back inside to their hand-held video games. I don't know why it is such a struggle to get kids to go outside these days!

After his friend went home, I had Carter help me get air in my bike tires and golf cart tires at the gas station. When we got home, he actually decided to stay outside and hit some baseballs. I said, "Do you want to field those for you or pitch to you?" He said I could I pitch. Of course, him saying I can pitch and me actually having the ability are two different things. I pitched him dozens of balls (overhand like a real baseball player, mind you). I did take one line drive in the gut, but I have a feeling my back is what will be protesting in the morning.

After taking a break, I had him help me set up and wash the patio furniture on the back deck. Later we headed to the driving range at the golf course. Jim was getting his golf clubs re-gripped and the guy doing it gave us some clubs to try out. Plus, it's always good to get some practice in -- especially for Carter, who hasn't golfed "for real" yet.

When we got home awhile ago, Jim had Carter pick up some sticks in the back yard so he could mow. I asked Carter when he was done if he wanted to go for short bike ride with me so I can blow the cobwebs off. He grabs my shoulders and looks me straight in the eye and says, "Mom, we already played ball and golfed. I haven't even had time to relax today!"

Oh, pardon me. I guess it's hard work spending time in the great outdoors!

Gotta run. I just heard the lawnmower quit so I'll have to see what's next on our demanding schedule!

No comments: