Sunday, June 1, 2008

Life in the Fast Lane

Flipping the calendar to June this morning, I let out a little groan at all the "spaces" already filled in. I realized this will be our last free weekend for quite some time so if I was going to do nothing but relax, I better get started early and do a good job of it.

Sure helped that it was another gorgeous day -- temps topping 80 -- so I certainly had no fears I'd be tempted to stay indoors and clean or something outrageously productive.

After church, Sunday School and grocery shopping, I did have one little project to get done on the computer. But I set a limit and said I'd be outside doing something by 2 p.m. And I met my deadline (I do that for a living, you know.)

I had talked to my friend Becky at church and we'd already decided it would be a good day to get together. Her husband was taking her older kids to some race so she was going to be home with her one-year-old, who is recovering from chicken pox. So I biked over to her house, we put Garrick in a stroller and went walking and talking and walking. Then sat on her steps and talked some more.

It felt so good to put life's busyness aside and catch up. Sometimes it takes such a concerted effort -- but it's always well worth it. Of course we said, "We should do this more often," then realized her son plays ball opposite nights of mine during the week and her weekend calendar slots are filled up like mine, too. The time is no longer ours -- not as individuals -- but we wouldn't have it any other way. How blessed we are to fill our days making special memories with our loved ones.

I still say it's a good intention to slow down once in awhile. Unfortunately, the reality is that we can't maintain that speed for long ... unless it's me running or riding a bike for that matter. No danger of me moving over into the fast lane there. I don't mind. Other than my lead foot (which some of my siblings also inherited), I don't think I was built for speed.

No comments: