Saturday, June 21, 2008

Summer Solstice

Funny how part of the word solstice means "to stand still" when we do anything but that once summer gets under way. We can't be 10 places at once, but we could be 10 different places this weekend. But that all depends which part of life gets in the way.

This weekend is the Cranberry Blossom Festival in Wisconsin Rapids. We had entertained thoughts of going to the pancake breakfast Friday morning before work but that changed after a late, extra-inning game Thursday night (which we lost by the way).

Carter woke up with an upset stomach on Friday anyway. He had some cereal and we all agreed he could at least try Kidz Camp for awhile unless he didn't feel any better. Well on the way to Iola, he said a few times his stomach really, really hurt. So hubby dropped me off at work and he turned around and headed home with Carter. Somewhere between Scandinavia and Amherst, he had to pull over so Carter could get sick in the ditch. Lesson learned: When you have an owie tummy, don't eat Cocoa Puffs.

Jim stayed home with him all day and then we all walked down to the neighbors on Friday evening for their anniversary party. Carter and I headed home early because he still wasn't feeling 100%. This morning, he woke up and he was sick again -- this time on the other end. I knew I was going to a baby shower so poor Jim had M.D. duty another day.

The baby shower was up north a bit in a little town called Edgar (near Wausau). I rode with my mother-in-law and her sister and my sister-in-law. So I got to meet a bunch of people on Jim's mom's side of the family. She had 4 of her sisters there. They must be all in there 60s now. They were pretty entertaining but I told my sister-in-law later, "I don't want to get old." No offense to them. But I could just picture my sisters and me in 20 years and I don't want to be picturing that just now. Had a great time playing games (you now Miss Competitive me) and visiting.

We didn't get back to town until almost 5 p.m. There were other Cranberry Fest events going on that were done by then so my Saturday agenda was full time wise but lightened in terms of running around. I realize I can live without going to every Arts & Crafts show (ha). But tomorrow is another pancake breakfast and the parade so I hope the runs have run their course and we can all enjoy a family day.

I will say we did "stand still" a little while tonight watching baseball on TV. But I got home too late in the day to have my "solstice" in the sun on the back deck. Good thing summer's just begun.

No comments: