Sunday, June 8, 2008

To know me is to embarrass me...

Some day my son will find my backlog of blogs and be embarrassed at the stories I'm sharing with the world. By then I will know it is not the first time I have embarrassed him. In fact, I know as of today, that first time has come and gone.

Carter was invited to a birthday party today. At least we think he was invited. Although we received no formal invite, he says the birthday girl (whose identity I will protect in case she's my daughter-in-law someday) asked him. I said, "Are there any other boys going?" He said he wasn't sure. I said, "What if you are the only boy invited. Won't you be embarrassed?" Nope, he said.

To back up a minute. The girl next door was having a sleepover last night involving several of the girls from his class, including the not-to-be-named birthday girl. Since it was raining, they were stuck inside in the "garage turned slumber party headquarters" next to our property line. Occasionally we would hear giggling and screaming, as girls are known to do. Boy, did Carter spend a lot of time standing by that window, waiting for the girls to run outside -- or did he say he was keeping an eye on the rain clouds? In fact, he was up before 6 a.m. today, sitting on the couch with the TV off -- I'm guessing so he could hear the first sounds coming from that garage this morning!

So I guess we weren't surprised that when we dropped the ladies' man off at the skating rink that he was indeed the only boy at the party. He insisted he still wanted to stay (of course), so Daddy and I went golfing.

The party was supposed to go until 4 but we arrived shortly after 3:30. That's just how it worked out with our golfing. Without mincing words, Carter said it was embarrassing to have us there and we should come back at 4. Wow. Apparently, we were invading his turf!

We decided it wasn't worth a battle so we left for 20 minutes and came back. We sat in the parking lot and let him come find us. We certainly didn't want to embarrass him again!

Yes, I know. We've all thought that about our parents at one time or another. I just thought that came at a much later age. And how does our mere presence embarrass him? Next time I'll be sure to give him a big hug and kiss!

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

Whoa! Did Carter read my "comment" from Thursday, about what I "for-see"??? When I wrote, I thought you'd have atleast another month before you had to suffer embarrassment. Too bad the kids don't know that you're probably more embarrassed by their actions & words claiming "embarrsassment" than they ever will be about you showing up. Good Luck!