Thursday, June 26, 2008

Lordy, lordy, look who's embarrassed...

If I thought I could tiptoe quietly into my 40s, I was sorely mistaken. I didn't count on a few scheming girlfriends who felt the need to spread the word.

Now granted, I made an "Older than Dirt" Cake and Hornet's Nest Cake for work last night and had every intention of letting some co-workers know that my birthday was coming up. When we walked in the building this morning, however, my cover was blown.

First thing I see is my face on a poster with "Robyn's turning 40 Saturday." Eventually, I come across three versions of this before I get to my desk. "Life happens... wait 'til you see the scrapbook from this party!" "Ask me Monday about the dysfunctional things we say or do at family gatherings -- Better yet, read my blog!" (At least I got some free publicity for the blog, eh?)

When I got to my desk, there were balloons hanging, cards piled up and the makings of big surprise potluck in progress. Lots of food and well wishes today -- including a tasty cake with lots of frosting delivered by my friend Jana. (She knows the perfect gift for me. We both love a good cake with yummy, yummy frosting!) My twin says she got the same treatment at her workplace, so I guess we have to go through with this.

I was joking how I hated the attention, but anyone who knows me knows I was in my glory to have a special day ALL ABOUT ME! (ha) It was a bit embarrassing seeing that big 40 in print, though. Yikes.

Several of my smart-alec guy friends said things like "I thought you turned 40 years ago!" But my girlfriends were all nice and kind. "You look too young to be 40." I love them dearly. And one smarty pants had to say I don't look a day over 39. At least that's true. I still have a day to go.

I guess there's no turning back now, is there?

No comments: