Friday, May 16, 2008

Longitude and Attitude

We are celebrating the 20th work anniversary today for my friend Sandy. Wow, 20 years at the same company. In this mobile -- and attention deficit -- society, that sort of milestone becomes more uncommon every day.

I asked her what the secret to longevity is. She said, "Taking it one day at a time... Plus, I enjoy what I do and I know where my source of strength comes from."

The same could be said for any long-term commitment -- friendship, marriage, parenting, any relationship really. Some times we are not just taking it one day at a time but one hour at a time or one minute or one count to 10. As long we continue to find enjoyment (not to be confused with a continuous source of enjoyment), then the relationship, the commitment, remains worthwhile and the investment continues.

I recall one of my newspaper jobs had me so burned out within 3 months on the job, I was ready to jump ship already. But something kept me there another 15 months. I still enjoyed the actual job even though I wasn't keen on some of the stressful circumstances. But it was not enough to keep me there 5 years, let alone 20!

On Monday, I will mark my own anniversary at this company: 5 years. When I first came here, it was my honest to goodness DREAM JOB. I was writing and editing for craft and scrapbook magazines and I would have signed the dotted line to commit to 20 years, easily. But then things changed and my job changed. I feel blessed that I did have my dream job, albeit short-lived. Some people never get that opportunity.

With each new job responsibility here, I continue to learn and evolve as an employee, as a manager, as a person. I am not the same person they hired 5 years ago. So true, it is with long-term relationships, too. If we don't evolve in some respect, learning, improving ourselves, then it will be a tough road to longevity.

I learned something about that in the past few days. If the relationship with the family unit at home is to move forward, I can't fall back on old behaviors or "stinking thinking" -- even in a moment of stress or weakness -- or we are doomed. Some days, some minutes, that takes a lot more dedication than I feel I can muster up. But we always prove we can when we keep on trying, right?

That, to me, is the secret of longevity, too. Never say never. Never give up. I'm here for the long haul. Let's see where this road takes us.

No comments: