Thursday, May 15, 2008

Reality Show

As I was watching Grey's Anatomy tonight I was almost (I said almost) questioning the need to watch this prime time drama when life offers up so much of its own.

I think we enjoy the 60-minute escape from reality. The lives of those interns in no way reflect mine. However, by virtue of their names only, shows like Lost and Desperate Housewives might draw some parallels.

Don't you think sometimes our lives are so crazy they'd make good fodder for a sitcom? Indeed, some things are so sad, unfortunate, frustrating, you almost have to laugh and say, "Is this really happening?" Then the viewers watching would say, "That new show on the Austin family sure is crazy. What a dysfunctional lot! There's no way all of that would happen in real life. Good show. Good escape from reality."

Maybe that's how I should view this week. Just a little episode in a long -- and successful -- television series. What's going to happen next? We'll all have to stay tuned. Only our producer, Mr. G upstairs, knows that one.

1 comment:

Ron Hedberg said...

I so relate. Ten or 15 years ago I could never have scripted this story called "reality". I should be used to it by now. But on the date of your post, I got a very special e-mail from a complete stranger. I probably shouldn't write about it here in case she reads it. But nearly all of your readers indirectly know a little bit about her. Reality can be outrageous. Hold on and try to enjoy the ride!