Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thy clubs be christened!

When it dawned on me today that I have had my new golf clubs for 5 months now and they had yet to be christened, I knew I had to do something soon or I was bound to get cranky about it.

Of course, when the day starts out with temps in the 30s, one doesn't think about golf first thing. But as I watched the mercury slowly make its ascent near 70, I knew today had to be the day.

We took advantage of the fact we have a "temporary" live-in babysitter, and headed for the golf course as soon as we got home. I promise not to bore you non-golfers with a hole-by-hole play-by-play, but...

When I teed off on the first hole, I had some concerns. The ball shanked off to the left. I thought, "Something is wrong with these new clubs!" After racking up a 7 on that hole, I pulled my head out of my ... bag ... and started concentrating. I parred the second hole. Whoo-hoo!

Just so all of my clubs felt appreciated, I ended up using every one at least once (except my 5 iron). Even the sand wedge got a workout. I found I am in love with my new hybrid club. I felt especially comfortable hitting that -- and driving with my 3 wood. I ended up pounding out a 54, which is great for me for the first outing of the season.

The only thing I didn't like was all the mosquitoes! Will definitely need to pack bug spray in the bag! They are out for blood already. This is definitely going to be a wicked year on the links. But I am willing to make that sacrifice, aren't you?

No comments: