Friday, May 30, 2008

Do you compute?

Just when I think I have a handle (somewhat) on today's technology, I realize I am light years behind. Someone said this week that e-mail is the newest "snail mail" because texting is that much quicker. I don't know about that, but I am getting my eyes opened.

Today Carter had a program at school. He and his classmates were presenting their agriculture reports with Power Points. So Carter has officially done a Power Point before Mom or Dad. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a computer program that can be projected on a big screen -- just a nice, graphically pleasing way to present information. Almost like a slide show. I'm sure I can teach myself how to do one. I just haven't taken the time. The kids did sound quite professional with their little microphone and slides. Just not something I expected to see in a 4th-grade classroom.

I knew kids were learning things at a much younger age when I watched Carter type in his guest blog. He had his hands poised above the home row and he typed with all fingers ... just like I learned in 10th-grade typing class (only they call it "keyboarding" now)!

He knows his way around the computer and the Internet, too. I was grateful his teacher made the kids start their ag report research using encyclopedias first so they have a clue what to do with those antiquated books.

Of course, he's asked for a cell phone. But that is not happening anytime soon.

Then there are the two older boys who have their cell phones on them every minute of every day ... and I can't convince my hubby to get one for emergencies or those "almost important" calls from Wal-Mart. It's not like we would run out of minutes with it. Certainly not from texting.

Texting. Now that is a foreign concept to me -- probably because I have a Blackberry through work (la-tee-da) and I just type whole e-mails to people with that. But texting is THE thing. The teenage boy living with us was almost complaining the other day that he was limited to only 1,000 text messages a month. Only?! If you've got the phone, why don't you just call your friends and TALK to them?

See how old-fashioned I am? At least I know how to blog, right? That's hip ... or whatever the "kewl" word of the day is...

No comments: