Monday, May 26, 2008

Weathering the Weekend

Carter and I spent the weekend Up North at my parents' house. We drove up Friday to give us some more time, but I forgot what a nightmare holiday traffic is. Couple that with some unexpected road construction (no, I didn't think to check ahead), and we were just happy to get there.

On Friday night, Carter impressed Grandpa and Grandma with his skill (or luck) at playing cards. We played 3 to 13 and somehow in the last two hands I came from behind to win by 2 points. So that was fun (I can say that because I won.)

On Saturday, my main goal was to do some videotaped interviews done with Mom and Dad to gather some genealogy info and hear some of their stories. That took a while to get started. We had to start the day with some garage sales with Grandma first. We actually only went to two. One huge one, where I ran into a guy I went to grade school with. He says, "You sure look different." And I'm thinking, I would hope so. It's been at least 20 years. Anyway, Carter's big find at the sale was a Brasil soccer shirt to match his Brasil hat. (He asked today if I mentioned that in my blog, so I thought I better!)

After the sale, we swung by my old grade school. I wanted to show my fourth-grade son the school where I was in the last fourth-grade class before they shut it down and we went to Luck. After Oak Hill closed in the late '70s, it was purchased and used as a home, but it looks much the same on the outside. The windows on the right show were the "little room" was -- that's what we called the room with grades 1-3. The windows on the left show the "big room," where the bigger grades, 4-6, were. Physically, the rooms were the same size, but that's what we called them. We drove up the road to look at the ball diamond and that is basically grown over, but I could point out to Carter the few hot spots for building forts anyway.

The interviews got started in the afternoon and each parent was on the hot seat for about 45 minutes. I think they turned out pretty well. I mainly just wanted to capture their personalities and I did that, that's for sure. I also learned a few things -- and it got emotional at times. I am sure it will be something interesting to share with my siblings, children and grandchildren someday.

On Sunday, we attended a church service at Pleasant Prairie Church, located in the sand barrens of Burnett County. The church closed many years ago but for the past 62 years, they have opened it up for a service the day before Memorial Day for the families of those buried there. My grandparents and great-grandparents on my dad's side are buried there.

Since it was raining, we packed everyone inside that little church. There were only 11 pews, 5 on one side, 6 on the other, and an altar and piano. We lit candles because it was so dark and cloudy. During the sermon, the storm hit ... lightning, thunder and hail! I turned to my brother and whispered, "This is really hail, fire and brimstone!" (I know. I can't stop myself.) At least we didn't have to worry about the electricity going out, since there wasn't any to begin with. It was a neat, patriotic service, though, and I look forward to going back. The rain let up so we could sit outside to eat in the mist. Not the best day for a picnic, that's for sure!

We heard more bad weather was on the way so Carter and I left in the late afternoon to head back home. First we stopped to see my sister Rachel, who works at Fawn-Doe-Rosa, a little wildlife park in St. Croix Falls. Carter and I got the quick tour of the cute baby animals and fed the deer. I hadn't been to this place since I was a kid, but I could see why Carter liked it. He was a little unnerved by the hissing geese and the deer who tried to get into his bag of feed, but other than that, he enjoyed it! As soon as it started to rain, we hit the road in hopes of beating the storm.

No such luck. By the time, we got to Amery, we heard sirens going off as we drove through town. I found a radio station with the local weather which mentioned what was happening in Minnesota and heading that way. Strong rotations -- as in tornadoes. The two things I remember about tornadoes when it comes to driving. One, you should never try to outrun a tornado. Two, don't stay in the car. The third thing I couldn't remember is where to park (parking lots are no-nos, aren't they?). I figured I'd just keep on driving until I figured it. Probably not the smartest decision in the world, but it worked this time.

We ended up missing that storm and several others. Every time we'd hear an update on a radio station, the storm was either behind us or to the north or the south. I was still a little nervous but somehow it worked out. It was like we were driving in this zig-zagging protection zone all the way back to Wisconsin Rapids. We never got another drop of rain after Amery and made it home safely 3 hours later.

Today it is simply gorgeous out. So really, I shouldn't be sitting here at the computer. I have got to get something done. I know those chairs on the front deck need some testing. So I think I'll grab a cold one (water, that is) and see if they pass inspection...

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

I'm surprised! No corrections from your other siblings that the Big Room was on the right & the Little room was on the left. I know, I'm just anal! Glad you had a safe & fun weekend! Rayna