Thursday, September 11, 2008

Boys' Night Out

The 10-year-old discovered about a year ago in one of those adventurous moments of "try it, you might like it" that he really likes barbecued ribs.

Every night on the way home from work we drive by this little bar and grill with a "Wednesday Night Ribs" sign outside. Hubby often says, "One of these Wednesdays I am going to take Carter out for ribs there. Just Carter and me." Last night, an open evening without football or massive homework, they finally got their guys night out.

Carter enjoyed the surprise and was even willing to share his leftovers. The last time he had ribs, and my sister RoAnn can attest to this since it was during her recent visit, the waitress doted over Carter, personally placing a "bib" on him so he wouldn't get his shirt dirty, then bringing out some club soda and a cloth when he did. If he got the same treatment last night, he and Daddy are mum about it.

The other part of the "night out" involved one of the other boys and a trip via ambulance to the hospital.

Our almost 16-year-old was apparently getting up from the couch and he fell because of a severe pain in his back. He couldn't get up and his brother and mother couldn't pick him up so they called an ambulance. Hubby went into town to meet them at the emergency room. Long story short -- it turns out he had a muscle spasm in his back. One of those things that are easy enough to treat, I guess, and should not prevent him from going to school (If you recall previous reports on this child, that's an important thing to note).

So what did I do during this Boys' Night Out? What does every woman do when she's got time to herself?! She goes to Wal-Mart! OK, I shouldn't lump all women into my "falling prices" addiction. Plus, I really just needed to get a few things! I was home in plenty of time to savor some solitude, sweating on the treadmill and eating my bowl of high-fiber cereal for supper. Who says I don't know how to have fun, too?

No comments: