Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Fun on a 'school' night

I don't often do much in the way of social activity on what we used to call "school nights" but now are "work nights." Tonight, though, I had a double-header of entertainment and fun in little ol' Scandinavia (the town just south of Iola).

Right after work I attended a jewelry party. I told my friend I have been invited to no less than a half dozen of these Lia Sophia parties but never got to one either because of scheduling conflicts or the nagging guilt that I can make my own jewelry (no really, I can) so I shouldn't be buying any. Hubby reminded me I have plenty of sisters who might enjoy the jewelry. Sorry, ladies. I had to be selfish just this once. If I can make something that looks like it, then you might reap some benefit from this.

Despite the fact my friend was serving cheesecake, I had to duck out of the party early an head down the road to the bowling alley. I know, it sounds like a dream night, doesn't it?

Now I haven't been bowling in ages but have said I'd serve as a sub if needed. Well it's only three weeks into the season and they needed a sub. Remind me to keep my pledge to say "no" to things like being a "regular" sub. I will have to fill in a few more times since I took the trouble (it was required actually) to pay a fee to be a "sanctioned" bowler in the Wednesday Night Bowling Bags league. La-tee-da.

Well I may be a sanctioned bowler, but that doesn't mean I'm a good one. I swear this is true -- the bowling alley is honestly about the only place little ol' competitive me accepts defeat. I am lucky -- and quite content -- if I break 100. I was lucky enough to do that in all three games tonight, averaging 110. I'll take it.

Of course, there is downside to a night on the town when the town is 40 miles from home. The drive home in the dark. Had to brake for two deer, and I think I missed the rabbit. But it was better than negotiating icy curves and blinding snow, which is again why I have to remember to say no to "regular" fun but yes to an occasional double-header, even on a school night!

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

Was that a "dig" about missing the rabbit meant for me? :) I know, if the "shoe fits, wear it." Rayna