Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Who are we?

Carter has an interesting homework assignment already. They are doing student "histories." Next Monday, he will have to bring a container with at least five items representing his history, his current self, who he is.

I imagine it's a way for the teacher to get acquainted with her new students and for the students to get to know each other better, too. It could make for some deep self-reflection (for us anyway).

If you had to choose 5 items (or more, I guess) to represent you, to tell your story, what would you choose?

I've done an activity similar to this before in a group setting -- putting a few items in a paper bag and having someone look through it and guess whose bag it is. Mine have always been so obvious -- things like a pen because I like to write, a golf ball, etc. All surface things when you think about it.

Is that who I am? How do people really perceive me? How do I perceive myself? Is it too late to change that? Not at all.

Many years ago, I had this notion that we were "measured" (would be remembered) by how successful we are. How far we advance in our careers. How much money we make. How many toys we have. I guess it depends on how you define success.

Yes, my career is still important to me but I'd rather be successful as a wife, mother and friend first. Starting now, I can still make my "history" -- my footprint -- by impacting other's lives in a positive way. Not necessarily wearing one of those labels (wife, mother, friend) but just being a good Christian. Wouldn't it be great if someone pulled a cross out of your paper bag and, without hesitation, looked at you and said, "I know who this belongs to!"

What 5 items represent you? It will be interesting to see what the 10-year-old thinks. Maybe we should all do our homework.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Robyn for the inspirational blog. It is something I definitely need to think about. Keep up the great job you have done and continue to do, not only with your writing, but as a mother, wife and sister. Love ya bunches. Lene