Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Earning his Keep

Today's a big day for the Austin family. Mommy's getting her hair done this morning. But that's not the big deal. My Twins kicked butt last night. But that's not it either. Carter is wearing a dress shirt and tie to school. Yep, that's the big deal.

No, he doesn't have a new dress code at school. He has a job interview!

The fifth-graders at Grant Elementary are in charge of the school store, where they sell supplies and items students typically run out of or lose. Every fifth-grader must apply for a job of their choosing but aren't guaranteed that position. Carter was initially interested in the advertising/marketing post but said "everybody" wanted that one. So now he's going for Data Analysis, where he'll learn Excel, study spreadsheets to identify sales trends and present them to the class. He had to fill out an application and get a letter of reference written by an adult, any adult, so he chose me. Do you think I had to struggle with words to oversell my kid? Not in the least.

Carter also has to apply for an in-class job, like taking attendance, monitoring the computer lab, etc. He will get paid for both jobs, too!

Well, not real money, but they will be keeping track of their payday deposits and expenses in a "check book" this year. They also will earn "money" for turning in homework on time, getting parent signatures on their daily planner, etc, but have to "pay" for privileges such as going to the bathroom when it's not a break time, forgetting signatures, etc. Each student will be allowed to "go broke" up to three times during the school year and their account will be reset (don't you wish we had that luxury?)

"There'll be things to buy, too, but for each one I'll have to decide if I really, really need that or if I should save my money for something else," says the young businessman.

I replied, "Now you know why I can't buy you something at Wal-Mart every time you ask. Some times we need money for bread or milk!"

I can't wait for him to figure that one out. This will be an interesting learning experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pls tell the handsome businessman "good luck", but I don't think he will need it in landing his Job. Wow, 3 times to go broke in a year and you are forgiven! That sounds like Pres Bush's plan last night to bail out the country with my tax dollars!! Fifth graders learning how to run a business and taking care of their own checkbook - wow, it's amazing, but I think Carter and his 5th graders will do a better job than the adults in charge of this country. Let me check my election manual and calendar - I think Carter still has time to run as a write-in for the Presidential election!! Go Carter go!!
Love, Auntie Romey