Tuesday, September 23, 2008

You Snooze, You Lose

When we got home from work last night, all of our digital clocks were blinking. There must have been some power outage or surge during the day. So we go about the house resetting them all, with Carter handling his own clock in his room.

It wasn't long after supper when we heard his alarm go off. Whoops, Carter. It should be a.m., not p.m.! Hours later, I am in deep, deep slumberland when my alarm goes off. I hit the snooze and realize it's straight up midnight. Whoops, Robyn. You have to reset your alarm! Two minutes later, because my clock is always fast, hubby's alarm goes off. Whoops, Jim. Were none of us paying attention?

I tell ya, I had a hard time falling back asleep, so I am tired today. But I also am fired up. It's close to the end of the regular baseball season -- and it's close for my Twins!

Tonight they open up a series against the dreaded White Sox at home. We have to win these games if we want any chance at post-season play. Our best bet is to take the Central Division. Otherwise, a lot of other circumstances have to take place in some complicated playoff scenario. Let's just beat the Sox (and the Royals this weekend) and make the playoffs.

I'm wearing a Twins shirt today and I know when I walk across the building, my buddy Joe will have his White Sox jersey on. It's a friendly rivalry. And we both said a month ago that it would all come down to this final series at the Dome. How exciting. I feel like playing hooky again -- driving over to the Cities and taking in the game.

But I better be the responsible adult and realize that besides the fact that I'm tired, it requires time and money I can't spare right now. I'll just be sure I've got popcorn and a cold, frosty root beer on hand to watch it from the couch -- and it better be on TV!

Wake up, Twins! We can't hit the snooze or reset the clock. We need some wins!

No comments: