Monday, September 15, 2008

For Sense of Humor, Press 1

I realize there isn't a "how to" manual for parenting out there. But it must be written in some code of conduct somewhere that daddies handle the wrestling, teasing and practical jokes, and mommies always keep a steady supply of Band-Aids, warm fuzzies and morale boosters on hand. At least that's how it works in our house.

Often heard within the confines of our car or home are the words: "Not funny, Dad!"

And while hubby has resigned himself to the fact that he is not funny, he still gives humor an effort. Quite often, in fact. And sometimes, it works.

Last week was a good one. Why am I writing about last week? Well, I have been fighting the angel on my right shoulder who says "Don't blog about this or Carter will be embarrassed," while the devil on my left shoulder whispers, "Yeah, but it's funny."

Forgive me, Carter. The devil won.

I will try to keep this generic enough, however, to avoid complete humiliation.

So Carter and I have a routine set up where he calls me on football practice days when he rides the bus directly home -- just to let me know he made it home and in the house OK. Nothing major. The other day, before hanging up, he mentions something "personal" to me. Just something a boy isn't embarrassed about telling his mother or father when he knows no one else is listening.

On the way home that night, I mention this thing to Daddy, not knowing the "let's play a joke on Carter" wheels were spinning rapidly inside his head. I didn't give it another thought until after football practice when they came home and Carter was a bit miffed.... About a conversation on the way to practice that I imagine went something like this:

Daddy: Oh Carter, you really embarrassed me at work today!

Carter: How?

Daddy: Well you know how our phones have a paging system? If I can't get ahold of your mom, I just press "page" and say "Robyn Austin, dial 281. Robyn Austin, 281" and she'll hear it anywhere in the building. Well Mommy must have just paged someone when you called because the page was still on and everyone could hear your entire conversation. (This is where Daddy is really good at carrying it one step further.) So after you hung up, I'm getting all these emails from people saying, "You must be so proud!"

Carter (quite, quite, quite embarrassed): Oh I'll never be able to set foot at (our workplace) again!

After hearing this playback, I rolled my eyes and said to Carter, "C'mon. Do you really believe your dad?"

When realization dawned, he pretty much tried to tackle Daddy with a teeth-gritting "That's not funny, Dad!!!"

Jim says: "April Fools" (a bit early). And, gasp, "Miss I'll Always Protect You" Mommy was laughing, too. I guess you had to be there. But it was funny!

Since then, when Carter doesn't believe something Daddy (or evil, laughing Mommy) say to him, he just responds in his "paging" voice: "Robyn Austin, 281. Robyn Austin, 281." That's his code for saying, "You guys are full of poop." (Not that this had anything to do with that.)

No comments: