Monday, September 29, 2008

Down to the Wire

As an editor, I guess you could say I'm deadline-driven... either that, or a professional procrastinator in disguise. Or perhaps both, depending on the circumstances.

I think it runs in the family. Carter is just now finishing up that book I mentioned last night. I don't think he'll be waiting until the last minute the next time. But we've all been there -- and still make that mistake sometimes. Don't you find it easier to do things in small segments or chunks rather than one overwhelming task that must be completed in not nearly enough time?

I wish the Minnesota Twins had thought of that. They've had all season to win a game or two more here and there and now it is down to the wire. Down to the "overwhelming task" of accomplishing something in one game. A victory over the White Sox in order to move on to the playoffs. Today's game between the White Sox and the Tigers was out of their control. Had the Tigers won, the Twins would have sneaked onto the next level. But that didn't happen. The White Sox, who also could have accomplished their wins in small segments and chunks, didn't do that either. Tomorrow's game is going to be a good one!

Carter still insists he is a White Sox fan, so I'll have rivalry at work and at home. I think hubby would side with me, but he is leaving in the early morning for a work trip to Baltimore for the week. So it will just be me and my Homer Hankies hoping for a last-minute, end-of-season thrill. Yup, I thrive on deadlines like that. Go Twins!

No comments: