Friday, September 12, 2008

Snail Mail

We got two cards in the mail yesterday, one from Jim's aunt and one from my mother. It's always such a treat to get something in the mailbox that doesn't require one of us to whip out the checkboook in response.

My mother, who I know had secret aspirations of being a teacher, has impeccable handwriting -- the kind you'd probably see in one of those penmanship contests. She sent a get-well card for us to deliver to Jim's dad.

Jim's aunt sent us a thank-you note. We had dropped off a picture for her last Saturday in a our errand-laden scenic tour of central Wisconsin. She scribbled a lengthy note, and at the end noted, "My writing is good for nothing. My writing is bad but I love to write."

Both notes were equally appreciated!

I'm not sure when the last time was that I actually sent someone a handwritten note or letter. I can tell you they probably struggled to read it! My penmanship used to be OK, not wonderful, but has deteriorated to slop after years of taking swift notes and inventing my own "shorthand" as a newspaper reporter.

But you know what? It's the thought that counts. Whether it's the teacher-wannabe mom, the thoughtful scribbler aunt or the "I write like a doctor" magazine editor, people do love getting special greetings in their mailbox. I think they'd even accept something typewritten (Thank you, font gods, for the "script" selections!). At least we know they can read our special thoughts for them.

Think about that the next time you are about to type an email. Could the news wait a few days so you could send it in a card or in the form of a letter? I can just about guarantee your Snail Mail will be Smile Mail!

No comments: