Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ready, Set... Hike!

I imagine when a football team is down by 3 touchdowns and hasn't scored yet, it feels like they have to climb a mountain to get back into the game. Unfortunately, Carter's team was not a group of mountain-climbers today. They tried, but just could reach the summit.

To take Carter's mind off the game and potentially see some fall colors, we drove up to Rib Mountain State Park in Wausau and did some mountain climbing of our own. It was overcast and the colors haven't reached their peak either, but it was still beautiful.

This Rocks! There were plenty of rocks to climb on this mountain (one of the highest points in Wisconsin). Carter thought it was cool to be as tall as the treetops. You can see some of the fall color in the background here.

Fear Factor: Daddy and Carter had no problem climbing the big lookout tower. Yes, I think it's on my Bucket List somewhere to address my fears, but I was not ready. Halfway up and I swear my heart was beating outside my chest! I wanted to turn around but kept going, clinging to the railing. I snapped this photo of the brave boys up top (one-handed while still holding that railing, of course!).

Scenic Overlook: Look at me being brave and sitting on the edge! Actually, it was just one of the lower (much lower) scenic overlooks.

Say Cheese: Now that Carter can operate the camera, we can occasionally get pictures of the hubby and me. Carter doesn't have to be in every picture, just 95%!

Trail Blazers: We ended up following trails and hiking around for a couple hours. I guess I wouldn't mind exercise like that every day if I knew the scenery was going to be this pretty.

Beautiful Backdrop: As soon as I saw this rock with the orange-red leaves behind it, I knew it was going to be our "picture rock". Too bad we didn't dress up -- it was like a personal portrait studio.

Back to Nature: Who needs professional school pictures? We were just glad to see Carter smiling and not thinking about that football game. On the way home he asked, "Whose idea was it anyway to go to Rib Mountain? Thanks!"

2 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Neat Pictures! Great Pictures! Makes me homesick (for a couple of moments) for Wisconsin. Fall was my favorite time of year up North.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, beautiful people! You are so lucky to have found those fall colors - we are much farther north and barely have any color up here - as of Friday anyway. I think it is hit and miss this year - the trees in my yard are just starting to turn. Enjoy fall - it always goes by too fast. luv, Romey