Thursday, June 4, 2009

5... 4... 3... 2.. 1...

We have countdowns for a lot of things.

Earlier this spring, I was counting down to the launch of my new Web site on May 4. Now, albeit a month later, it's launched. (Yay!) Sometimes, the countdowns don't always go as we planned.

On the wipeboard on the fridge, Carter has been counting down to the last day of school. I see tonight it says "3 1/2 days until school is out." Then there's a note above it (suspiciously close to Daddy's handwriting) that says, "75 days until next school year starts." Then, a note next to that (I'm assuming in Carter's handwriting) that simply says, "Ha. Ha."

Two kinds of countdowns. Two different spins. I don't think Carter thought it was funny.

Casey is done with school as of yesterday so he is done with that countdown. We adults are counting down to his party in 10 days, but on the larger scale, are counting down to the day he flies the coop. Leaves the nest. Takes off for college and the real world. I'd rather not think about that now. In fact, I'm not even going to assign a number to it. (Will that prevent it from happening?)

In general, I think countdowns are healthy. It can present a clearcut goal to obtain and/or give us something to look forward to. How many countdowns do you have going on right now?

I know I am counting down hours to the weekend, days to the party, more days to my nephew's graduation party, even more days to my parents' 60th anniversary party, months to my first trip to Hershey (the chocolate capital of the world) and years to retirement.

Right now, I am going to go count sheep. 100... 99... 98... 97...

No comments: