Friday, June 26, 2009

Expanded News Briefs

HAIR: OK. Not big news. The only reason I mention my hair appointment from yesterday is that I was leafing though the latest copy of People there and I came across a picture of Michael Jackson and his oldest son Prince -- not wearing a mask for the first time in a photo -- and commented about it. Weird coincidence.

GOLF: We played 9 holes on the Iola course. Beautiful day. I did not have any pars -- which is not a good sign 2 days before a scramble. I tend not to golf well when we take Carter because I get hung up on helping him line up shots, etc, then do mine quickly -- and not well. But that is not Carter's fault. That's my issue. (I'm sure the pros overcome greater distractions than that!) And I think Carter had a good time despite his frustrations and the occasional "I suck" exclamations.

FARRAH: Was not surprised about Farrah's death but it's sad to see part of the "team" broken up. Now one of Charlie's Angels is in heaven. It's too bad -- but she wasn't my favorite anyway. I was always a fan of Sabrina. And maybe that's because when we were kids and my cousin Lonna, sister Raylene and I would play Charlie's Angels, we'd fight over who got to be Jill. I probably just gave up and opted for another one. But I do like Kate Jackson. And, like every other girl growing up in the '70s, I did my best to feather my hair.

JACKO: So Thriller was probably my first album (I can't remember if I bought that one first or Springsteen's Born in the USA). I admired Michael Jackson's talent for singing and dancing but knew as soon as the one glove thing started, he was going to be a different bird. Now, unfortunately, he will be remembered more for the Wacko Jacko stuff and not the ground-breaking Thriller video. I almost feel like a normal person compared to all that (and that's saying something!).

HEAT: One good thing is the heat wave has eased off just a teeny bit. My sister Rayna and husband Paul are heading up from Texas, where it's over 100 degrees this week. Nothing compares to my nephew Tony's situation in Iraq, though, where they had another 120 degree day yesterday. Can we really ever complain about the heat again?! (Bless you, Tony, and all our service men and women!)

SUMMER
: We’ve got a busy week coming up. Tonight is a birthday party for our friends' son Nate, Saturday a golf tournament, Sunday over to Minnesota and back for 2 grad parties (a cousin and nephew). Carter will stay Up North with my family until hubby and the big boys and I head back up Thursday night so we can golf and celebrate my parents’ 60th anniversary on July 3rd. We'll head home on the 4th, then go to graduation party across the street on the 5th. Whew. What is relaxing about summer?

No comments: