Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Are You Smarter Than a 5th-Grader?

Nine months ago I asked: Are you smarter than a 5th-grader? I said if we didn't know the answer then, we'd probably know by the end of the year.

This is what we have to compete with...

Carter brought home his final Accelerated Math report. Accelerated Math, or AM as we call it, is software designed by Renaissance Learning (an international company headquartered right here in Wisconsin Rapids) that challenges students to work independently and enhance their skills. (They have AR, too, for Reading.) They set goals and work each semester to achieve them.

We knew Carter has been this little math whiz of sorts but to see it in writing is something else. According to the report, Carter's math skills (greater than 96% of students nationally in the same grade) are, and I quote, "at a level equal to that of a typical post-high school student." But he isn't perfect by any means. He's got a few things to work on (6th grade outta be fun). It said, "At this stage, he needs to work with advanced number concepts such as powers and roots, negative numbers, factorization, and scientific notation and be provided with opportunities to challenge math skills."

Math? Whose kid is this?! I'm not sure if he was adopted or switched at birth. (Actually Daddy and Mommy both did well in school. We've just forgotten fractions after 20-plus years!)

But he did not disappoint in our favorite area: English... language arts... words...

Yes, I realize Carter wrapped up the year with major struggles with reading tests. But now I think the joke's on us. This morning in our daily call, I finished with, "Enjoy your second-to-last day as a fifth-grader!"

To which he responded, "Yep, my penultimate day!"

Now whose kid is that?!

The quick story behind that is that he heard (and apparently learned) that word years ago. As editors, we'd often see advisories from the Associated Press like "Insert this info after the penultimate graf" -- which meant second to last paragraph. We explained that to Carter (back when his ears were still working) and he's used the word occasionally. I, on the other hand, doubt I've said it out loud more than 5 times -- even in my editing days. It was usually read, not said.

So when I ask myself today if I am smarter than a 5th-grader, there's no doubt... I'm not even close!

How 'bout you?

No comments: