Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Over the Hump

It's truly a Hump Day today if we're talking about finally getting over the proverbial hump in a few things...

Last night, the Tenacious Tigers got over the .500 hump with a sound stomping (10-0!) of the Rangers. Now their record is 3-2 going into this weekend's tournament with some confidence.

The Tigers play Thursday and Friday nights and at 8:30 a.m. Saturday. If they do better than the other teams in their "pool," then it's on to some playoff games Saturday afternoon. Other than the sketchy forecast, we're feeling pretty good about it.

Today I got over my "hump" at work, too. My major reason for existence (er, employment) the last few months is done. It's "live." I am getting initial feedback. Just have to make a few hundred fixes so I can tell the world about it next week. Whew. That was quite the hump!

I'm plugging along on party prep, too. I say that but really haven't progressed since Sunday, other than making mints. And that, my friend, is putzy work!

I roll little balls of the dough (cream cheese, powdered sugar & mint extract) in sugar, press it in the mold, pop out a magically delicious diploma (suitable for framing ... or eating). I am a perfectionist but I don't mind goofing up and having to eat one or two (Carter and Jim are OK with that, too!).

Carter is trying to get over the hump (read: challenge) of reading and his struggle with tests. He started one final book this week that he needs to get a perfect score on to boost his grade. Get this. He reads a few chapters and actually begs to stay up late because the book "is sooo good."

Why did this finally happen now? He finally gets over the hump of having to read and discovers why it can be enjoyable. It's a little too late for this school year but we'll do what we can to keep the mind engaged this summer.

Now, if my Twins could just get over their hump and make it to .500.... Doesn't look promising. But who says Hump Day always has to be on Wednesday, right?

No comments: