Sunday, June 14, 2009

"Surprise" Party

When you're planning a party of an unknown scale, you want everything to go like clockwork (8 a.m.: get ice; 10 a.m.: pick up cake; 11 a.m.: pick up beer). Everything needs to fall into place. You don't want surprises.

Unless they're good ones.

And I had the best one today!

I was already thrilled that the weather was perfect -- sunny and high 70s -- and everything was organized and starting on time (thanks to loads of help from family and friends). There were a few minor mishaps in the house (clock fell off the wall and shattered), but we got pictures with the cake and we were ready to roll at the sound of the airhorn (yay, Carter) at 1 p.m.


I somehow drew the short straw and had to cut this massive cake. I was concentrating on making straight lines when I heard someone say something like "those pieces aren't big enough." I was thinking, "Are you kidding me? You do this then." When I put the knife down and glanced up, I was never more surprised to see my friends Cindy and Sally standing there. I actually shrieked!

I met these two umpteen years ago at my first newspaper job in Marinette/Menominee. They've both got boys and we've gone camping with all of our boys over the years. But then life got really busy and now it's been 5 years since I've seen them. Sally's son graduated last weekend but we couldn't make the party because it was Casey's commencement. I had invited both of them and their families but hadn't heard back from them so had dismissed it from my mind and assumed they weren't coming.

But they made the trek. And knew better than to tell Jim -- just in case he couldn't keep a secret. It was sooooo great to see them! I'm still smiling about it. In fact, I'll be smiling all week about that one.

Now enough about me. This was Casey's day.

It really was the perfect party. Weather was awesome. Had enough food and beverages. Friends and family showed up to congratulate Casey -- and lots of his friends stopped by for food and fun, too.

Why Lasso Golf is a spectator sport.

Look a this beautiful tent! Nice shade on a sunny day!

A meeting of the Blue Jay Drive minds at the end of the day? Or maybe we could call it the Neighborhood Watch program.... watching the volume of beer coming out of the keg.

It's late now. The last partiers left about 9:30. Our out-of-town guests are down just two (RoAnn and Ken). The only thing on my List I didn't get done was paint my fingernails. My feet are killing me. I am, without a doubt, party pooped.

But I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: