Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hot Enough for Ya?

While I would love to avoid the subject of the blasted heat, I can't. I'm sitting here in the A/C and still not cooling off. And you know me -- Ms. Electric Blanket in June -- I am always cold!

So you know it's hot.

As far as I know, the mid-90s temperatures did not break a record in Wisconsin Rapids, though the weather dudes said it was the hottest day we've had in several years.

I got up at 5:15 today to get my cardio in while it was still cool. It was already muggy then so I knew it was going to be an uncomfortable day. You know what they say: It's not the heat, it's the humidity.

Jim, Carter and I had planned to golf today after work. We even had a tee time. But I begged off after I spent some time outdoors. Over lunch hour, I went to the ball field with my friend Karen to watch her son play. We sat in the shaded bleachers with a mild breeze off Lake Iola -- and still I was hot. Those poor kids. Good thing Jared's team kicked butt (15-0) and the game ended early!

After I got back to the office, I told hubby we should probably consider a different day to golf. Then, after seeing the mercury rise yet another 2 degrees (to 93), I said we definitely should golf a different day. So you know it's hot if I am getting out of golfing (and I really, really want/need to go before our tourney this weekend)!

It's the kind of day kids don't mind as much as grown-ups. The kind of day where boys like Carter try to see if they can make their head sweat enough to soak the entire bill of their baseball cap. Er, maybe that's just Carter. (And he did.)

In my grown-up (read: aging) opinion, about the only thing a day like this is good for is an ice cream stop (duh!) at King Cone in Amherst. That and hopefully watching the Twins kick some Brewer butt ... from the comfort of my air-conditioned couch.

No blanket tonight. Trust me.

No comments: