Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Happy Birthday

Had a tough time getting out of bed this morning. I was either sleeping pretty hard or just feeling my age. So I hit the snooze until I could figure it out.

A person shouldn't have to set their alarm on their birthday. But there's no rest for the wicked or the aged when there's a busy day planned.

Our plans actually did not revolve around my birthday (no extravaganza this year). Our primary purpose was to get to Minnesota and back -- and enjoy two graduation parties and some quality family time along the way.

Mission accomplished.

Although the first phone call of the morning was from stepson #2 backing out of the trip, I didn't let that set the tone for the day. I was determined to have some fun. And what better way than to start it off with a cake for breakfast (well, panCAKEs anyway)?

After picking up Casey, we headed west and stopped at the June Dairy Breakfast outside of Pittsville. Nothing like starting off a birthday with live polka music and fresh cheese curds. And, since it was a dairy breakfast, we got ice cream for "dessert!" That's right. I said it: ice cream for breakfast. I'm moving to a farm!

We had two parties when we got to Minnesota. The first was for my cousin Dan's son Andy. Got to see some cousins I haven't seen in ages, so that was cool. Found out my Aunt Barb is an avid blog reader. Always good to know I have love and support in Vikings Country!

The second party was for my brother's son David, who has a bright future and an enviable level of brains, talent and faith (much like his father). Saw some more people there I haven't seen in years.

Of course, I was happiest to see my twin. I would guess that in our adult lives, we've only spent our birthday (the actual day) together maybe 5 times -- and 4 of those have been since Carter was born. So it was a treat to see her and we got cake at two parties! Can't beat that!

That second person I was excited to see was my sister Rayna, who drove up from Texas to spend a week Up North. Unfortunately, her husband Paul did not make the party. He ended up in a hospital in the Twin Cities today with some suspicious pains in his chest. Our thoughts and prayers are with him. We'll get to see him Thursday night when we venture back Up North for Round 2 of quality family time.

Thursday will also be the next time we see Carter. The Up North Gang kidnapped him and will pass him around with unending doses of spoiling all week. I have some awesome siblings! Plus, this is such a treat for Carter since he never gets spoiled otherwise (right).

That would be like me saying I only get spoiled on my birthday! ... Though ice cream for breakfast and two pieces of cake is a pretty convincing argument, wouldn't you say?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a busy day. I hope Paul is OK. Let me know what they find out with his ticker if you can. See you Friday, Jill (aka LJL#5)