Monday, June 22, 2009

Piece of Cake

I brought 2 or our 3 cakes into work today. Figured I'd try to pass them off as early birthday treats for hubby and me. Don't think that worked. We're getting rid of some cake but the stress-eaters will be looking for more free food next week.

But who am I to talk? We came home with 1 cake per person! I should clarify that Carter and I each won 1 and put them in the car. Later, he went back in to play bingo and, yes, do the cake walk again. He says, "I can't help it I'm lucky." But that did not carry over to bingo tables.

A few co-workers were surprised today that people still do Cake Walks (one person didn't know they were "real." She had just seen them on That '70s Show.) Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they are sort of a Midwestern thing. You still see them at church functions and even at school carnivals. Apparently there are a few old-school moms out there to keep the tradition going! I wouldn't mind if we did them just for fun at work, too. I love cake (well, frosting!).

Speaking of frosting... Did you ever notice that when you see a beautifully decorated cake on a plate or platter of some sort, there's always a fight (among us frosting lovers anyway) for a corner piece? But when it's in a pan, like the ones I brought in today, the poor corner pieces appear smaller and are overlooked for the larger, inside pieces?

I guess we humans are just like corner pieces. We often get lost in the shuffle when we're part of a group, don't we?

No one really knows the talent of a singer in the choir until she sings a solo. We may not suspect the skill of an athlete until he makes a game-winning play. We might not know the individual traits and talents of a member of a large family until the kids are grown up and out on their own...

Coming at the tail end of a family with 8 kids, I suspect I was an "inside the pan" corner piece hoping to be a bakery display corner piece. How does one go about not getting overlooked for the larger, inside pieces? By being cute and clever, looking for laughs and/or academic accolades.

Wow, who says everything changes? I wonder if this explains my love for those frosting-filled corner pieces!

And just so the pan pieces don't feel left out, I ate one this morning. And if the other corners get neglected today, too, I'll find a home for them. It's just the right thing to do.

2 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Sorry to disappoint you and your readers, but you and your twin sister were NEVER the neglected "corner pieces" You were the taller, center pieces with the big frosting roses on the top, that everybody wanted to "eat you up." You were so darn cute and sweet.

Robyn Austin said...

Awww, thanks. You're so sweet! (like frosting!!)