Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Making the Grade

I'm hoping the Twins stomp all over the Brew Crew again tonight so we can end the day on an uplifting. And, yes, I realize that compared to millions of people out there with far worse challenges, I have nothing to grumble about.

But it's my blog. So I will.

The heat continued today but felt much more toned down. What a difference 5 degrees makes! We still didn't go golfing, though, because there was a threat of rain. Hubby thinks I'm just not that anxious to golf. But I am! And there was a threat. I looked on the radar. All this rain was heading our way. I knew there was no way we'd get 9 holes in after work.

Well on the way home it sprinkled. That's it. I was hoping it would poor. I'm thinking to myself, "We need a deluge here. I do not want to be wrong about this!" But nothing's happened yet. So I'm bummed. We probably could have gone golfing. Tomorrow for sure!

Today was the day Carter was waiting for. Report cards arrived in the mail. (He's a sixth-grader now!!)

Why was he so anxious? The quick back story is this: Neighbor boy gets groovy new scooter thing after going half-sies on cost with his parents. Carter has birthday money burning a hole in his pocket (still). We find out neighbor boy earned scooter by getting straight A's this year -- his first year in junior high. We tell Carter (knowing how reading tests went downhill this quarter) that sure, if he gets straight A's, we'll get that scooter thing. We sneaky parents figured (fingers crossed) we were making a safe bet.

Turns out (breathe sigh of relief) we were right. Carter was bummed he didn't get all A's, but hey, we were quite pleased he had all A's and B's (with that reading grade just hovering in the B zone).

And, in the category of the apple not falling far from the tree, here are some of the teacher comments Daddy and I enjoyed:

General: "Carter has a good sense of humor and shares many stories with the class. I enjoyed working with him this year and will miss hearing all of his jokes."

Science and Social Studies: "Carter participates well in the content areas and is a leader in group situations. ... He is very curious and often explores topics on his own."

Language Arts: "Carter has an excellent imagination, which is often reflected in his Writing Workshop projects. His confidence improved while presenting to his peers and he took more risks as a writer."

Not bad, eh? I'm thinking he better get back to guest blogging this summer to keep his writing skills sharp while Mommy thinks about taking my own risks as a writer. Perhaps I'll get going on that best-seller yet...

3 comments:

Tone said...

Good for the brown-eyed bandit!! A's and B's are very good, and sixth grade....oh my gosh...I'm old.

I think the guest bandit blogger would be great again, and definitely tell Carter's momma to get writing on "the book." It is tremendously helpful for the soul!

Anonymous said...

tell Carter congrats on the great grades. and, please do get going on that book. Any subject would be interesting if you wrote about it.
Lenesker

Rayna Delaney said...

This is a little late... as I have not read your blog for two weeks... but I'm sending you an article from O magazine about writers. Of course, I thought of you. You will be famous writer some day soon!