Friday, October 30, 2009

A Means to an End

I really only had one thing to do on my day off today -- get everything ready for a birthday party for my stepson Clay. I'll admit the everything is almost more than a person can fit it into one day. But I succeeded!

It was a rocky start. I woke up when hubby went to work at 5 a.m. At that point, I had an upset stomach and couldn't fall back to sleep. When I finally did after 7, I slept hard until the phone rang at 9:22 a.m. Sounds late but it still didn't add up to 8 hours of sleep for the night and I was feeling it.

Since yesterday was spent running around, I had to get the house set today (normal dusting, vacuuming, etc) plus some laundry. Oh, and the food. I quick decorated his cake (nothing special as you can see) and then put a turkey in the oven at noon.

Why a turkey? We just happened to have it in the freezer so I figured we should eat it! I do them so seldom I, of course, had to Google "turkeys for dummies" or something like that, but I figured it out. I at least used the handy-dandy oven bag so I didn't have high-maintenance afternoon of basting and all that. That would have been way too domestic for me!

I did have to run into town to pick up a few things. I didn't get out of the house until 2:30 so I was hoping for a quick run through the store. Never happens. But it was worth it to shop thoroughly. Can you believe they were already putting out Christmas candy in the Halloween candy aisle? Guess who bought her first 2 bags of MINT M&M's and her first 3 bags of those MINT truffle kisses? Oh yeah, it was a good shopping trip.

The only bad part was this screaming kid (not mine) who I could hear from all corners of the store -- and obviously I was in all corners. The screaming was bad enough but when I saw the kid and saw that he is probably like 7 or 8 years old, I really felt badly for the mother. ...And said a quick "thank you, God" for my kid!

Later, I also thanked God for my stepson and my hubby's family. Had a very nice get-together for Clay's birthday. Food was fine. Company was good. It's always a treat to have the too-often-absent Clay with us (and the in-laws, too, of course).

Who cares about the crazy day leading up to it? It's just the means to an end and, in this case, it was a happy ending.

No comments: