Saturday, July 17, 2010

And Then There Was Light.... Houses

Got to Fond du Lac early last evening so we had time to check in the hotel and check out the area a bit. The hotel is historic, yes, but sometimes old doesn't mean "beautiful, historic old," it just means "old." Ah well, it's a place to stay.

We drove around and found the baseball compound and a place to practice before hand. Got back to the hotel and joined a few other families checking and went out to eat. Naturally, even though it was 9 p.m. and everyone was FULL, the boys still wanted to go swimming! So it's a late night but we thankfully we got to sleep in and be fully rested for a hot game today.

And by hot I mean 89 degrees and sunny and, thank the Lord, very breezy.

And by hot I also mean it was one heckuva game!

We played against a Madison team who kept pace with our runs into the last inning. Carter struck out once and, in our last at bat (as home team thankfully), he hit a sacrifice fly out to center. Unfortunately, the fielder threw it home and they got our tying run out! Not good. So then we had 2 outs.

Talk about tense.

We had guys on second and third and then the magic happened. Out lead-off batter hit a super shot in the outfield and both guys scored! We won 7-6! We were just screaming, cheering, jumping up and down. Whew! That was close.

I did not think anything could beat that. But wait, there's more...

We learned there is a lighthouse in town on the shores of Lake Winnebago! Who's excited now? OK, just me. But still...

We went back to the hotel, cooled off a bit and headed to the lighthouse park. What a beautiful park! When we got up to the lighthouse, I was pleasantly surprised to see people at the top. You mean we can go inside and up?? Awesome!

Yes, I am typically super scared of heights. But I guess lighthouses are different. I walked up the spiral stairs and out onto the platform. I even looked down once. Not scared. It was fun. Yes, I made sure we took pictures. Gotta prove I defeated my fears once anyway!

Can the day get any better? I guess we'll see. We got practice in about an hour and play again at 6 p.m. Let's hope the boys saw the light today and focus in another win!!

No comments: