Thursday, July 8, 2010

Headgear, Headlines and Hardware

It was Day One of the Iola Old Car Show and since today is typically the "slow" day for mainly vendors and exhibitors, I had some time to snap photos of passersby. I don't think I can top last year, but we'll try one day at a time.

Now the thing you should know about car shows is that it is quite a mixed crowd. I had a guy come up to our booth at 9:30 a.m. with a Pabst Blue Ribbon in his hand. Hey, PBR me, it's 5 o'clock somewhere!


So yes, it can be a relaxed atmosphere with attendees ranging from young (like these kids from Carter's Kidz Camp who took a field trip today without him)...

to the old. I was thinking "Old Man and The Sea" the minute I saw him! Notice the shirt! A shirt with cars on it is a must. Unless you have shirts with clever sayings (in the minds of the shirt wearers). But I'll get to that in minute.

There are three fashion musts: Headgear, headlines (or clever sayings) and hardware. First, the headgear...

It is always hot at the show! Sahara desert hot? Probably not, but it's best to be prepared.

Of course, you can't beat the old standby umbrella hat. This woman looks to be scratching her head thinking, "Oh my gosh, that is so last car show." I saw this guy go into the porta-potty later and FYI, the umbrella couldn't fit through the door!

Naturally, when you have your sweetie along, you should don his and hers safari hats. After all, it's a jungle out there.

Now for some t-shirts....

I was afraid to ask what this meant, but someone indicated it was from that old show Married With Children.

Lucky me, he turned around so I could catch the meaning. Though I don't think he should be judging anyone while he's wearing a fanny pack. (But that's just me.)

'Nuf said.
And now for the hardware...
Apparently, he who wears the biggest chain, wins.

If you've never been to a car show covering hundreds of acres, you also may not know the primary modes of transportation. If you are in involved in the show, you are lucky enough to cruise around on golf carts. For the physically handicapped, aged, obese or lazy, there are electric scooters to rent.
This guy just stole his daughter's pink bicycle (with pretty beads on the wheels) to get around.

When they run out of scooters, you try anything from wagons to office chairs with wheels. Here two of my co-workers play Rock, Paper, Scissors to see who has to push the CEO around on a guided tour of the show!

Just kidding. I think. I'll know for sure tomorrow when it's back at it for more foto fun!

2 comments:

MattGergeni said...

All I ask is that you let us know if you find Mr. Eyebrows again this year. I simply can't imagine that the show would be the same without him...

Frank N. Stein said...

By the look of things, that little girl's pink bike must have some awfully strong "rear" suspension.