Monday, January 10, 2011

Avoidable Tragedy

We were in such a "safety bubble" at the basketball tournament Saturday that it wasn't until late that night that we knew anything about the shooting rampage in Arizona. Since then, the details have continually been revealed, each new one more tragic than the last.

As a mom, I just want to cry when I think about the poor 9-year-old victim shot and killed. Born on Sept. 11, 2001, the most tragic day in recent U.S. history, I'm sure her parents saw her as a sign of hope. A new beginning. A chance that something positive could prevail.

But it didn't. And my prayers go out to her family and friends.

Today, after the nation observed a moment of silence for the victims of the rampage, Representative Giffords' brother-in-law shared some words on the radio that really hit home.

"As I look out the window, I see a very beautiful planet that seems very inviting and peaceful. Unfortunately, it is not. ... These days, we are constantly reminded of the unspeakable acts of violence and damage we can inflict upon one another, not just with our actions, but also with our irresponsible words... We're better than this. We must do better."

Amen to that. We are better than this and yes, we must do better. But why don't we?

As with everything else, I guess it starts at home, doesn't it? Learn to respect others, help others, tolerate others and love others. Then, as parents, teach your children to respect others, help others, tolerate other and love others.

I am nowhere near perfect, but I can tell you that when I was a kid (well, even now) I wouldn't have dreamed of talking back to a teacher or any authority figure. I didn't poke fun at the elderly or handicapped. In fact, my sisters and I would often sing for them and play games with them. I wouldn't have physically harmed anyone on purpose (well, except my twin, but that is what sisters are for, right?). And I wouldn't hate someone for believing differently than me. (Lord knows I certainly have learned to tolerate Packer fans over the years.)

That is what I learned from my parents and that is what I am trying to teach.

Unfortunately, we now see bullying starting at or before grade school even. We see kids disrespecting their teachers and thinking nothing of disrupting an entire classroom. We hear of teenagers so angry or depressed they lash out at others with harmful words -- and sometimes with bullets. They feel like they've run out of options and they're only what, 15 or 16?

I don't like where this is going. Or where it's already gone.

We're better than this.

We must do better.

No comments: