Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gator Aid

One thing I feared most in our trip through the Everglades last summer was the possibility our airboat would tip on its side and empty its contents -- us passengers! -- into gator-filled swamp waters.

Thankfully, that didn't happen. But with every swish and sway back and forth at full speed, it seemed probable. If we could just slow down, I'd feel safer. Like things are under control.

That's how it is with life a lot of times, isn't it?

This week -- when I've been in the office -- I feel like I've been going at warp speed with my hair on fire. My "boat" swishing and swaying back and forth and I have no sense of control. It was fitting that one of my co-workers said today I was up to my neck in alligators.

What an unfortunate truth! I guess some days you're the alligator. And some days you're the bait... or simply unsuspecting passengers getting dumped during a quick turn of the boat!

Thankfully, I managed to slow it down by mid-afternoon and gain some control. I think it helped that I escaped to the fitness center for a brief workout. Endorphins do wonders.

I also was relieved that Carter -- thanks to some hefty urging from Mom and Dad -- went to school and stayed there all day. He'll be fine. In fact, Daddy took him to the Assumption game tonight to watch cousin Colin and Carter was just fine. More than fine if we judge it by the number of girls he was sitting with! (Good thing Daddy reports everything to Momma!)

I had a nice evening out with some friends -- eating and laughing and learning. I will have to share sometime when I have a moment. Right now I'm just so relieved I don't feel like "bait" anymore, I think I'll get some peaceful sleep.

See ya later, alligator!

No comments: