Saturday, January 1, 2011

Seeing Red

A typical New Year's Day goes something like this.

1) Sleep in -- especially if you were up past midnight (which I was not).

2) Change out of sleepwear only if you are leaving the house. Otherwise change into your comfy couch-lounging clothes -- preferably red ones if you live in Wisconsin.

3) Proceed to move off your couch or chair as little as possible while you watch as many bowl games (even some simultaneously) as you can -- preferably the Rose Bowl if you live in Wisconsin.

4) Eat as much junk food as you can stomach.

5) Be grateful tomorrow is Sunday so you have a day to recover.

That's it in a nutshell and it doesn't really change that much from year to year unless the Badgers are playing in the Rose Bowl. Then, like today, you cannot skimp on the red wear or the junk food (read: cheese) either! And this year we all need that day to recover from either drowning our sorrows or licking our wounds, or both.

As it went today, I did have to change out of my jammies into comfy clothes at least so Carter and I could got to Stevens Point and pick up his friend. Harry is one of Carter's Iola Kidz Camp friends who he still keeps in touch with during the "off season" and who he coincidentally went out East with on Spring Break.

Initially Carter was going to have Harry over for New Year's Eve. But then our growing boy graciously accepted a babysitting job -- his first ever -- watching a 4th-grader and 2nd-grader. (That went well, by the way.) So we decided he could have his friend over today instead to watch the Badgers in the Rose Bowl and then sleep over.

I made enough required munchies for an Army (or 2 teenage boys) so we were in the right mindset. Too bad the Badgers couldn't completely get in theirs.

That was a tough loss to take. Then to top that off, I lost 2 out of 3 card games to hubby! I think I better get to bed before I have to paint a big loser "L" on my forehead!

I'm pretty sure this new year can only get better, don't you?

No comments: